[pct-l] Ursacks?

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 8 23:07:48 CST 2010

I started using an Ursack in the non-canister areas I ramble in the High Sierra this last summer and fall.  I am glad I at least have that now.
I replaced the crappy closure line it came with (cheap double braid) with a much stronger and slightly longer spectra cored racing sailboat type and was glad I did.
The bag is large so I didn't need the two stuff sacks I used to use.  I will be using it a lot more.  I think it's at least a margin of protection I certainly haven't had before.  But it is still a fabric sack, and I understand how they could be a problem in high bear activity areas.  I've met enough folks I would trust to use them who should use canisters, so I also understand why they aren't getting the nod in high use areas.  Also, you have to be really good at tying the thing closed and secured to something immoveable or the whole idea is moot.  And not everyone is good at this kind of thing.