[pct-l] Ursacks?

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 8 22:04:34 CST 2010

Hi Kathryn:

I'll be using an Ursack with Opsacks (odor control) North of the required
bear canister area. Prior to Kennedy Meadows I'll just be using the Opsacks
to try to keep rodents and hungry thru-hikers with a keen sense of smell
away from my food. I hike the PCT regularly in central and northern
California and there is quite a bit of bear activity regarding human food
sources, based on my conversations with Rangers and other hikers. I usually
stealth camp and avoid the fun. An equestrian I spoke with said they had to
up and move a large group of horses and horsepeople to another area in the
Carson-Iceberg Wilderness because of aggressive bears. It seems that bear
cans are becoming a stronger recommendation each year. Note that the Rangers
I speak with are always nice.

Jim