[pct-l] Rangers

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 8 20:49:16 CST 2010

I think that Shelly is about on the mark.  I few years back I became so enamored with the area above Idyllwild that I spent the summer as a Volunteer Wilderness Ranger just to spend more time there and to really learn the area.

There were only a few Law Enforcement Rangers (LER) assigned there at that time, although any ranger could radio for the LER to meet someone at the trail head or somewhere along their line-of-hike to issue a ticket.  Mostly it was about educating the public about why the rules were in place and not about punishing people or power-tripping.

What I did was make sure that folks had their permits.  I would also advise them as to proper footwear and rain wear.  Day-hikers did not realize that it rained almost daily in those mountains and that you could be very wet and cold and sick by the time you got back to your car..  I would check camping areas for smoldering fires, or worse, and direct or lead lost hikers back to the trail head, etc.

One time I spoke with a group of hikers at the trail head who were going up to the forest lookout tower.  I asked them if they knew what to do in case of lightening.  Being funny they raised their tracking poles up into the air to simulate lightening rods.  We all laughed.  They turned out to be fairly regular hikers in that area.  Whenever I saw them after that , they would all yell "It's Amanda!" and raise there tracking poles together like the Three Musketeers.  It was our little joke, although it did perplex the other rangers just a bit.

Shepherd