[pct-l] aquamira?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:48:08 CST 2010

Stevie wrote:

Oh I do agree there. My only comparison of Chlorine Dioxide and
Chlorine is that they don't accumulate in your body the way iodine
does.

Both chlorine and chlorine dioxide are less bad for you in the long term
than iodine, but chlorine is not as safe as chlorine dioxide.  Chlorine and
chlorine dioxide are not at all the same sort of chemical, kind of like how
hydrogen and dihydrogen monoxide (commonly known as water) are not the same
thing.  Chlorine dioxide purification uses a different chemical process that
does not involve free chlorine at any stage.

Both chlorine and chlorine dioxide are effective in killing water-borne
organisms but chlorine tends to produce carcinogenic byproducts when it
reacts with organic compounds whereas chlorine dioxide doesn't, or at least
not nearly as much.  The absolute risk is not large in either case, but if
you're choosing your water treatment based in part on long-term health
considerations, be aware that chlorine dioxide is safer than chlorine.

For an in-depth look at the chemistry, see this link:
http://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-chlori
ne-dioxide.htm

Eric