[pct-l] Rangers

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 8 16:10:59 CST 2010

On the PCT, I encountered a few rangers that wanted to see permits or
hear us knock on our bear cans. I had one ranger walk in on me
washing my "nethers". That was embarrassing. Then she chased me and
my hiking partner out of where we were and made us camp in a smelly
horse camp full of horse poop right next to the creek. She was nice
about it, though.

Locally I had one obsess about us telling him how long it would take
us to get back from our dayhike. He was all ready to set up search
and rescue for us if we were 15 minutes late. We had to try really
hard to make him leave us alone. We weren't going to need any rescue
and didn't want to hike on such a precise schedule. He had a brand
new badge, gun and uniform and huge muscles. Probably a stimulus
money hire and ex-military. Just a bit too helpful.