[pct-l] Decomposition of 2-Ply & 1-Ply TP

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:36:01 CST 2010

> What if the job requires more 1-ply sheets than 2-ply sheets?
>
> Radar

Then use more 1-Ply sheets.

The 1-Ply decomposition rate will still be faster than the 2-Ply decomposition rate.  Surface area exposed is much greater with 1-Ply per unit weight.  Every peice of 1-Ply toilet paper has about 2 times the surface area as 2-Ply toilet paper.

A sheet of toilet paper is 4.2 inches by 4.0 inches=16.8 square inches, Surface area is 2x Area or 33.6 square inches.

Sealand Rapid Dissolve 1-Ply 0.267 gram or 0.007946 grams/ square inch

Scott Single Sheet 1-Ply 0.345 gram or .010268 grams/ square inch

Charmin Ultra Soft 2-Ply 0.509 gram or 0.015149 grams/ square inch

The Sealand Rapid Dissolve has the lowest weight to area ratio and will probably dissolve fastest in a septic system.  My test only looked at surface decomposition rates, as if the toilet paper was exposed to the elements.

Hopes this helps explain the science behind it.

Paul