[pct-l] Decomposition of 2-Ply & 1-Ply TP

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:07:03 CST 2010

Common sense would indicate that carrying 1-Ply toilet paper would be better than 2-Ply.  The study I conducted simply verifies this.  In the unlikely event your toilet paper blows away 1-Ply will decompose faster than 2-Ply.   In the event you pack out your toilet paper and dispose of it in a septic system along the trail or the trash 1-Ply will decompose faster than 2-Ply.  The advantages of using 1-Ply toilet applies to both carrying out your toilet paper or burying your toilet paper according to LNT guidelines.  To view the recommended LNT principles follow the link below.

http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles_3.php

Paul

to view the original study follow the link below

http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/toilet-paper-decomposition

 > Please, when traveling through the backcountry, have the courtesy to carry out your TP.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Gary

These results suggest that 1-Ply toilet paper shows a superior decomposition rate than heavier 2-Ply toilet paper.