[pct-l] Tarptent Contrail problem

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Feb 7 09:29:33 CST 2010

I had a Contrail-style tent for part of the distance. I found it's
not the best tent in the wind, unless you set it up perfectly into
the wind. You have to set the tail end pointing into the wind or else
the sides bow in way too far. If the front is into the wind, it puffs
up and will fall down if the wind is too hard. If you get it pointed
in the right direction, it's as spacious and nice as when there is no
wind.

I never had the pole slip out and puncture the fabric. Did you set up
the four corners first? Set up the four corners first, even if they
aren't in the perfect position, and then put the pole in the grommet
and place the bottom end where you want it while holding the sharp
end in the grommet and the front guy line with one hand. Then while
holding the front guy line taught and with downward force, pull it
out to where you want to put the stake in. The pole ought to stay in
the whole time. If you slip, let go immediately so the pole will just
fall over/out.

I found that I could use the tiny titanium stakes on the four corners
but needed some sturdier ones for the front and back ends. I found
these sturdy ones on the trail. I had a Y-shaped one and a large
aluminum hook and both worked well. Enormous rocks on top of the
stakes were also necessary in difficult conditions. Those are the
times when I'm happy people don't practice LNT and leave their fire
rings set up!