[pct-l] Aqua Mira water purifier tablets

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 6 19:35:58 CST 2010

If you carry more than 11 ounces of extra water (less than a pint) when using Aquamira then why not carry a water filter?  For example the Katadyn Hiker weighs in at 11 ounces (again just an example no endorsement here).  Wouldn't that be lighter than carrying extra water to save weight by using Aquamira.  Plus it appears cheaper per liter to use a water filter than buying Aquamira....  And you can drink water immediately with a filter.  Plus a water filter doesn't evaporate or spill like Aquamira.

I'm not endorsing or representing any of these products.  Data is for comparison and educational purposes only.

Aquamira $7.95 for 12 tablets, each tablet treats a liter  ($0.66/ liter)

Aquamira $13.95 for 24 tablets, each tablet treats a liter   ($0.58/ liter)

Aquamira $13.50 in small bottles treats about 30 gallons or 113 liters ($0.12/ liter)

Aquamira $16.95 in large 2 ounce bottle treats about 55-60 gallons or 208-227 liters ($0.07-$0.08/ liter)

Katadyn Hiker replacement filter $39.98 treats about 200 gallons or 757 liters ($0.05/ liter)

Data shown above was obtained from the manufacturer specifications actual results may vary.

Paul