[pct-l] Big snow: VVR, Red's Meadow, Muir Ranch?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 15:54:50 CST 2010

> What is the likelihood of VVR, Red's Meadow, etc. not being open due to snow mid-June to mid-July?

Normally 'good', but can be highly variable - and it's still too early to tell for the 2010 season!

You've already heard from Bill at VVR, <http://edisonlake.com/> -
they anticipate opening Memorial Day weekend (Saturday, 5/29/10)...

Muir Trail Ranch anticipates opening Saturday, June 19, depending "on the snowpack, which we can’t predict yet."
See <http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html>...

Devils Postpile NM - "Typically the monument opens some time within the first week of June,
but this is highly weather dependent."
See <http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm>...
Reds Meadow Resort (see <http://www.redsmeadow.com/>) package pick-up form states:
"Applicable Only Between June 15-October 1 approximately"...

Tioga Pass Road (Hwy 120) normally opens in May, see <http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm>
for opening date history...  The Tuolumne Meadows Store & PO can't open until the highway does, of course...
Once plowing starts to open the road, check status at <http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm>...

Hope that helps!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey