[pct-l] Would love comments on my gear list!

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 13:56:06 CST 2010

hey Kimberly...don't know what comments u have so far...but here's my opinion. I hiked last year...had ALL the luxuries when I first started...including a Uke to play...wasn't that way in the end though...here's what I suggest
Get rid of the bag liner...ur bag is 15 degrees...u'll be fine with that...i sleep cold and I was fine especially since u have the Neo Air! If u do get cold just put on socks, gloves and cap and u'll be fine...maybe even the long johns for extra cold nights.
trash the pillow! use ur jacket (down sweater) u'll get used to it trust me
trade the Yaktrax for Microspikes (Katatoola) the yaks are useless for the areas that u need them. I only used my microspikes ONCE! and there will prolly be low snow this year anyways.
also trade those gaitors for dirty girls....much lighter and more comfy AND they breathe!
get rid of the bowl, rag and hydration bag...use the platypus bags for water and ur pot for a bowl, I did keep my cup so I could have hot tea at night while waiting for my food to cook, but only in the sierras and colder northern states
no need for soap...it pollutes the water anyways, even if it is biodegradable
as for the first aid kit, the only thing I used was bandaids and I kept my antibiotic just incase. Ducktape works great for blisters and sticks way better ur feet WILL sweat and the moleskin will not stick. Just put a bandaid on first so the tape doesn't stick to the blister.
BEAR SPRAY? ha if u ever get close enough to a bear that u can actually use it? ...30' u won't need it anyways...sorry  they're actually pretty tame, afraid of u more than u of them...just clank ur sticks together...they'll run...I ran into a mom and her two cubs...I got pretty damn close before I noticed them...momma ran cuz the babes were in a tree....I had plenty of time to back off
bring a pen instead of pencil and sharpener. I found that I really didn't have the energy to write every night on the trail anyways...one should do u for the entire trail...maybe two if u write alot.
Also if u can get ur hands on some Tyvek, it's lighter than the foot print.
Hope this helps
good luck and have fun! CYA at KO WOOHOO!
patti Sugar Moma PCT 09!
www.hikestrong2010.com hiking again in 2010 for cancer!