[pct-l] Starting Slow

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 23:36:54 CST 2010

It seems to me that water availability really drives the mileage that folks
end up walking in SoCal, starting the very first day.  Hauser Creek was dry
in 2008 right after the kickoff, and I don't think that's uncommon.   What
it means is that you either haul enough water to dry camp, or start out with
a somewhat lighter pack BUT with confidence in your ability to do 20 miles
to get to Lake Morena state park.  I actually did the worst of both worlds,
hauled enough water to dry camp but then gave some away at Hauser when I
felt fine to do the last 4 miles or so.

Limited water availability in general makes it nice to be in better shape
starting out.

I'm trying to do some reasonable prep for my AT attempt starting later this
month, but not due to water so much as just wanting to reduce the odds that
I'll overstress my knees or anything along that line.  Starting out somewhat
stronger (certainly not thru-hiker condition) IMO is sort of a risk reducer
in that way.    For me personally, the focus isn't on reducing body weight,
but strengthening my legs and getting my aerobic conditioning a notch or two
above my all too recent couch-potato status ...

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle