[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Joe McDougall long4trails at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 22:26:58 CST 2010

Wonderfully put!

On Feb 4, 2010, at 6:07 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com <diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:

I think your math is a little harsh. Most people are able to hike
more than 10 miles per day after the first week, and even within the
first week. You are almost forced to do this, adapt or die of thirst
basically.

Hiking lots of miles is just a matter of how many hours you want to
keep walking. It's not a matter of how fast you go. So to increase
your miles you just have to hike more hours. This is actually quite
easy. You can walk only 2 miles per hour and after 10 hours of
walking, you will have gone 20 miles and still have plenty of
daylight. The real challenge is going less than 20 miles. You aren't
on a camping trip. You're on a hiking trip. The difference will
become apparent once you get out there.

The only kind of shape you need to be in is the kind of shape where
you know you can put on a pack and hike all day. It doesn't have to
be any more than that. If you can do that but you are 100lbs
overweight, that's ok. If you can do that but you are a slow-moving
old lady, you'll be just fine.

People go home early on because of acute blisters or other injuries
or because the trail wasn't the experience they expected or wanted.
Because the trail is so very consistent in the grade and in the way
it is laid out, all it takes is a little blister and you start
favoring your foot and then you start walking a little off kilter and
then the repetitive condition of the trail starts beating that little
off-kilter gait into your bones. Next thing you know, your knee is
shot or you have even worse blisters or your back is whacked.
Eventually you may be totally ruined. Even more than being in tip-top
condition, you have to have awareness of the little problems and take
care of them before they snowball.

I am 45 years old. I'm female. I'm not super human by any measure. I
did not hike the entire trail in one season (I did it in two), but
both seasons that I did the trail, I was able to easily hike between
20 and 35 miles per day. Usually right around 28 was a typical day
for me.

So, yes, get in shape as well as you can, but don't sweat it. Hiking
the PCT is not a super-human endeavor requiring you to grit your
teeth and go all out like a race horse. Even more important than
completing the whole trail is the experience of living 3, 4, 5 months
out there on the trail. It's an amazing and wonderful lifestyle.
Since coming home, it seems most things about our "normal" way of
life are just wrong. We are meant to move our bodies and be out in
nature. Even if I had never seen the Canadian border monument, I
would still have had that wonderful awareness of being fully alive.
Completing the trail is only one reward. The others are much bigger.