[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Deep Desert Expeditions mike at deepdesert.com
Thu Feb 4 20:38:35 CST 2010

"Hiking lots of miles is just a matter of how many hours you want to
keep walking. It's not a matter of how fast you go. So to increase
your miles you just have to hike more hours. This is actually quite
easy. You can walk only 2 miles per hour and after 10 hours of
walking, you will have gone 20 miles and still have plenty of
daylight. The real challenge is going less than 20 miles. ****You aren't
on a camping trip. You're on a hiking trip. The difference will
become apparent once you get out there.****"

"Completing the trail is only one reward. The others are much bigger."

Thanks for these words of wisdom Diane...easily the single best piece of advice I've found on this list

when I've been out in the desert on long walks, I used to get bored with 15 mile days--my backpacking partner and I never thought we could do more....haaa!

Moab Mike