[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 17:02:17 CST 2010

IMO, endurance is more important than strength. Anyone can play Superman for 50 miles, but how many can keep going day after day after day? You have to train your body's joints, tendons, and ligaments to be able to take the pounding repeatedly. You can do this on the trail, under load, or you can do it slower over a longer period before the hike. Your call.

Caveat: when you crash and burn on the trail, it's ugly. You've already spent time and money to get there and now you're going home.

Cardio training is a huge help. If you have access to a gym, get on a Stairmaster and treadmill every other day. If not, get out and walk every for an hour or so every day.

My weekly routine is 1 hour of strength training each Tuesday and Thursday and 1 hour of cardio (20 minutes Stairmaster followed by 40 minutes treadmill at 3 mph and 10% grade) on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I usually refrain from joining the sweating masses that flood a gym on the weekend. For the two months immediately prior to the hike, I add a 4th cardio day on the weekend, but I get to pick which day on a week to week basis.