[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Feb 4 16:14:29 CST 2010

Hi, Paul,

If a hiker dreams of hiking 2650 miles, you'd think that they'd start in as
best a physical fitness as they possibly could, being informed that if they
don't and get hurt, they'll have to quit, wasting all that planning,
preparation, and expense. We are in equal agreement with you that we, too,
want everyone's dream to be realized and more. That's why we offer our snow
skills training courses for free--to help them overcome the challenges of
the trail by learning about them first-hand, on the snow, with an
instructor, so they'll be ready to use the skill when the need demands it.
We want everyone to come out the other end with a new sense of completion,
confidence, and knowledge of who they are and what they want out of life,
and these are just some of the benefits of long trail hiking.

There's nothing wrong with starting with the herd or being social along the
trail. But if you let another person's speed dictate your's when your body's
not up for it, you're asking for trouble. So, do as Paul pleads and get in
shape for hiking before your trip starts! If you can't do or don't want to
do 20+ miles a day straight out of the gates, then lengthen your trail time
by starting earlier. So you run into a little snow, maybe? Are you so purely
a summer hiker that you won't even prepare for it? Snow can fall in the
Sierra any month of the year.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.