[pct-l] Digital Journals - What Device to use

boundforadventure at gmail.com boundforadventure at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:29:15 CST 2010

I have a BlackBerry Curve that I used for journals/emails and camera this
past summer on the North Country Trail. I carried my Olympus camera as
well, never used it, and gave it to my mom. I did have some battery issues
with the BlackBerry due to a solar charger discharging the battery instead
of charging. I have since purchased an additional battery. Since the
batteries are so light weight, that's what I'll be carrying in the future.

I had a Pocketmail, but when I section hiked Oregon in 2008, I had a very
difficult time locating pay phones; even when I did, not all transmitted
messages.

My keyboarding skills are about as accurate on the BB as on the PM. I found
it advantageous to proofread my entries the next night.

Hmm, some of these options do make my pocketmail seem awfully heavy. I've
always disliked the idea of having anything more connected with me on the
trail though - feels like it spoils the sense of actually being away from
civilization.

P178