[pct-l] REI

Brian McLaughlin brianmclaugh at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 14:59:59 CST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <jomike at cot.net>
To: <wandering_bob at comcast.net>

> It breaks my heart when I wonder through and REI and realize
> there is nothing I need or can justify purchasing!  Sad state-of-affairs
> :(

Oh, come now! It can't be as bad as all that. I find REI to be a
passable source for many useful items, such as:

- Jungle Juice 100% deet insect repellant
- Sahara convertible nylon pants
- lexan spoons with long handles
- a replacement toothpick for my Swiss Army knife
- colorful bandanas
- Platypus water bottles
- Forest Service topo maps
- LED pinchlights and headlamps
- Smartwool socks
- a variety of car camping stuff

If you can't afford a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends
sleeping bag, certain REI down sleeping bags are a pretty good buy.
Even though they are not the best of the best, they cost half as much
for people with tight budgets. I've even found silnylon stuff bags
at REI-Outlet, discounted and as light as any you can find anywhere.

Don't give up on REI entirely!

Happy hiking.