[pct-l] Plant Field Guides for the PCT

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:36:18 CST 2010

When I go backpacking I usually like to bring some field guides to learn
about local plants and fungi, especially ones that are edible or have
medicinal or other uses. Does anyone have any recommendations? Here's what
I'm thinking of bringing so far:

'Plants Of The Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia
& Alaska', by Jim Pojar. This seems really good and similar to another field
guide I have by the same author and publisher, and I would bring this for
Oregon and Washington.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1551055309/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

'Southern California Nature Guide'   This is a bit more broad than I was
looking for, but its by the same publisher as above, so I think it would be
pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9768200553/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

In both sections I think I'll bring 'All the Rain Promises and More', by
David Aurora, which is an awesome mushroom field guide, though I might not
bring it for some of the desert sections, because there aren't many
mushrooms in dry places.
http://www.amazon.com/All-That-Rain-Promises-More/dp/0898153883/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265124373&sr=1-1

I guess my biggest question is how much the first 2 guides above apply to
the Pacific Crest Trail, and I'm curious if anyone has experience with these
books or if they know of ones that would be better suited to the PCT. Things
I look for in a field guide are very good organization, indexes, and keys,
good color pictures or at least detailed drawings, and as much useful info
on edibility and use(in other words, not just saying that something is
edible, but which parts, how to prepare it, etc).