[pct-l] General Temperature N vs S

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:33:57 CST 2010

Jim wrote:

I realize there are many variables like start date, but generally could you
assume if you are north bound you are hiking in warmer conditions then if
you're hiking south bound?

In general, no, I don't think you can make that assumption.  It's true that
north-bound hikers have a much higher chance of encountering seriously hot
weather at the start of the hike but both north-bound and south-bound hikers
have a significant chance of encountering seriously cold weather at the
start.

South-bound hikers risk serious cold again in the Sierra if they get there
late in the season while north-bound hikers risk serious cold in Oregon and
Washington late in the season.  And you can experience unusually cold
weather at any time and at pretty much any location along the PCT.  The
weather out West is variable enough that you should be prepared for the
worst at all times, whatever "prepared" means to you.  If you're ok with
using a 40 degree bag on a 20 degree night then go for it, but don't pack a
40 degree bag thinking that it'll never get below 40 degrees, regardless of
which direction you're hiking.

Eric