[pct-l] General Temperature N vs S

Postholer public at postholer.com
Mon Feb 1 15:46:07 CST 2010

> could you assume if you are north bound you are hiking in
> warmer conditions then if you're hiking south bound? ....
> If you started from the south you could maybe get away
> with a 40 degree bag.

Regardless of which end you start from, you'll want to consider that it's
possible and likely for the temps to dip into the 20's, even in the desert
and certainly at higher elevations in June and July. I would carry a 40
degree bag *only* if my warmth was supplemented by clothing.

My personal preference is a 2lb, 15 degree bag for the entire trail. When
it's too warm and often is, use it as a blanket.

-postholer

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php