[pct-l] To shocks or not to shocks.....

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Dec 31 15:26:24 CST 2010

Good afternoon, all,

I don’t use poles with the shock absorber springs: They add weight, they
rattle, and they really don’t live up to the shock absorbing claim that they
advertise.  One thing they actually do is to lighten your wallet.  Retailers
find the feature to be an easy up-sell.

When going uphill with the shock absorbers engaged they provide a squishy
feel that I don’t like:  My opinion.  A major advantage claimed is that of
absorbing energy when walking down relatively steep hills.  Energy is in
terms of force applied over a distance, as in foot-pounds.  Downhill, energy
can be absorbed by applying a large force over a short distance or by
applying a small force over a long distance.  The springs in the poles have
a short travel – maybe ½” – so a great force would be necessary if one
walked stiff-armed and relied upon the springs.  Fortunately, that’s not how
we walk.  We move our arm and shoulder structures to absorb energy over a
much longer distance; maybe 10 or as many as 20 inches, reducing the
resulting force greatly.  That is a very easy and natural thing to do.
 Compared
to that, the ½” of shock travel provided by the pole is hardly significant.

I find the average twist-locks perfectly good, and I don’t make them overly
tight.  Very aggressive locks do not allow the pole to collapse a few inches
when an unusually high force is applied, and there is a distinct risk of the
pole buckling and breaking rather than just slipping.  I’ve ruined two poles
that way when I could have easily readjusted a harmless collapse.

I remove the wrist straps from the poles and just use the bare grip.  The
advantage of doing so – other than reducing their weight a few ounces – is I
can easily and quickly transfer a pole to the other hand for some task, or I
can even just drop it if I need the hand quickly.  Over extensive snowpack I
carry small, light leashes made of the smallest diameter shock cord to
loosely retain the pole and keep it from sliding 300 yards down a hill if I
should open my hand.

I vacillate a bit relative to baskets at the pole tips.  They are useful for
keeping the pole from plunging deeply into snowpack, but over bare ground I
find a different purpose:  They help to keep the tips from going too deeply
into rock cracks. With the tip in a crack it’s difficult to stop walking in
time to avoid bending/breaking the tip, particularly if the grip strap is
around the wrist.  If I use baskets they are the small, standard size rather
than the large-diameter powder baskets.

Another occasionally-helpful use of a pole is to keep one’s foot from
slipping on a side-hill.  If I see a potentially slick step ahead of me I
poke the downhill-side pole tip a few inches into the ice/snowpack, I then
step ahead placing the side of my shoe against – and uphill of – the tip.  All
the while I maintain balance with the other pole somewhere uphill.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09