[pct-l] Shoes! Shoes! Shoes?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Dec 31 09:45:22 CST 2010

Good morning, Sam,

White is a good reflective color for shoes in the south, but comfort and
ventilation are much more important attributes.  An example of what I find
are comfortable, well-ventilating, white shoes can be seen at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=263804  That type is more likely
to be a running shoe than a trail shoe.  That photo was taken at the iconic
“footstep” road crossing just north of Hat Creek Rim.

Note that the gaiters are black, poorly-ventilating fabric, but they are
less important to heat management than are the shoes.  By that time my
preferred gaiters had worn our and I had to bring in the second team off the
bench.

My last times through the southern deserts were in trail shoe which were
gray in color with black trim.  Maybe not the best for heat, but they felt
great.

The mesh of the shoes provides good ventilation with each step, and my
friend Yogi says if she can feel the breeze on her toes she got it right.  The
down-side of mesh is the shoe will accumulate more sand and dust
inside.  That’s
not the biggest problem, but an accumulation will grind the shocks,
shortening their life.

I’ve heard good things about MicroSpikes but I haven’t used them.  Instead I
prefer instep crampons  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768 but
I seldom carry even them.

My opinion is full-platform crampons are distinct over-kill, and even at
best they are heavy.  PCT thru-hiking is not alpine mountaineering.  99% of
hikers will be following existing footprints across snowpack, but sometimes
those footprint surfaces can be slick.  Most of the time shoe treads are OK,
but shoe screws are an extremely light-weight, cheap, easy-to-use
alternative.  http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=429216
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=429217

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye