[pct-l] Shoes! Shoes! Shoes?

Sam Griffin samgriffin4 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 01:46:09 CST 2010

So I've been searching for a pair of shoes to start the trail with. I've
also been told to begin the PCT with extremely breathable shoes that have no
waterproofing whatsoever and are white. That said, is the color part
essential? I've been looking at the Merrell Moab Ventilators, but these only
come in a brownish variety. The last thing I want is to roast my feet in
tiny portable ovens, and I haven't done much desert hiking, being from the
Southeast  (I've done a 20 day stint in Coyote Gulch near Eascalante, Utah,
and some romping in Texas when I was younger). That's not to say here in
North Carolina your feet won't broil in-shoe during the dog days of summer,
but there is usually dense coverage and the heat is moist and jungle-like,
not full on desrt sun blasting.

Anyone have recommendations? The Salomon XT Wings trail runners seem comfy
(and they're on crazy sale at Sierra Trading Post).

Also, anyone tried the Kahtoola micro spikes? You like them?

Thanks!

--Sam