[pct-l] To shocks or not to shocks, that is the question...

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 01:15:55 CST 2010

I first started by using poles with shocks years ago, but have changed over
to non shocked, as I just don't like the constant noise of poles with
shocks, and never noticed any difference in performance.

As for hiking only one week without poles, it's perfectly doable, as we all
used to hike without them with no problem.  Now that I'm used to using them
however I wouldn't consider hiking one day without them if I didn't have to.
 It's all a matter of what you're used to.  They provide great stability
over rocky terrain, increased my speed,and are a godsend in the muddy,
slippery trails I'm hiking on now in Northern CA.
I think they are a wonderful tool, and worth getting used to, but that's
just my opinion, others I met on trail, who were great hikers, didn't use
them.  The vast majority of hikers did however.

Shroomer