[pct-l] Alcohol will not kill your children ...

Shawn Hudson shizaquawn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 18:31:14 CST 2010

*Alcohol stoves will kill us all. They will burn down the forests!  No one
is safe!*

Seriously, though, over the course of my two months or so on this list, it
seems as though people aren't terrified of alcohol stoves. There's really no
need.

If ya know it's going to be windy, don't use a featherweight stove and or
windscreen, and ya know, find a camping spot that blocks the wind and/or
cook in your vestibule. If you're worried about alcohol bubbling or leaking
out of a can stove, use a small metal sheet/ ultralite pot lid to catch
whatever fuel comes out. Be creative.

And finally, there are actual sturdy alcohol stoves out there. Stoves that
have enough stability to them to put most canister set-ups to shame. From
the heavier Trangias all the way down to these little guys ...
http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/Alcoholstoves.html,
you don't really have to worry.

People's stove choices are all over the map, obviously, but if you like
alcohol stoves and have used them safely all of your life, reading this list
sometimes makes you think that the sky is falling.

- Voodoo

I also believe that canister fuel is safer because the fuel is a gas at room