[pct-l] Frito Freak (Was Ray Jardine.. a Frito?)

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:14:19 CST 2010

Dear Kevin,

I should look to see if there is anything good on the market with a
reputable source.  I might start with the CDC website (Center for Disease
Control) or the NIH (National Institute for Health).  Some universities have
wonderful nutrition research programs, which post their information.  I do
remember one caveat from a professor, *"Don't fall into the athletic
mentality of SOME is good, MORE must be better!!!"*  Athletes seem to go
nuts trying to "get that edge".  Protein powders, mega vitamin doses are all
the rage.  My nutrition professor, Dr. Alfin-Slater, never took a vitamin,
got all her nutrition from the foods she ate and was the most sensible damn
woman I ever met.

Anyway, I just kind of make minor adjustments to the Minimum Daily
Requirement.  I like to consume about 60 gms of protein instead of the
required 45.  I never neglect my calcium.  You need at least 3 cups of milk
or milk products or sesame seeds, spinach etc.  I saw a study once done for
distance runners and they recommended a couple of grams of protein per pound
of body weight.  That was a sound, reasonable assessment.  We are definitely
going to have higher protein needs building lean tissue along the trail.
With distance hiking you will be burning mostly carbohydrates, of course.
Menstruating women should be taking an iron supplement as getting adequate
amounts of this nutrient is difficult from just the foods we eat.  Other
than that, a minimum daily requirement web site will tell you everything you
need but I'll look for some stuff.  My kids are home right now for the
holidays so when I have more time.

Other than that, I'm the strongest woman I know and stronger than most men
my age.  I've given birth to 5 children, nursed them all for 1 year
(pre-natal vitamins a must) and I get all my nutrition from foods (except
iron) and don't take potions, powders or gimmicks!  I get all my nutrition
from the grocery store or Whole Foods.  When you sweat a lot your salt needs
go up but again, some is good but more is not better.  Eat salty foods.  One
of the long distance cyclists in my club did the Furnace 500 and took too
many salt tablets.  His body swelled with all the salt and water and he had
to quit the race last year.  This year, he ate salty foods along the way so
his body could "taste" how much salt he needed.  Athletes generally, have
more diluted sweat than regular people.  It is genetic also so if you have
"salty sweat" you may need more salt and electrolytes.

I'll try and get more information later when I have more time.

Melanie