[pct-l] Stove choice :-S

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 10:11:47 CST 2010

I use a soda can stove. I've made a couple dozen over the years (most given
away to friends and family, some for experiments). I've never had any
issues. I've used them in snow, rain, wind, you name it. Other stoves can
boil water faster, but I'm usually not in a hurry when I'm backpacking. ;)

There was a recent discussion that questioned their safety though. While it
did not dissuade me from using one, it will lead me to be more cautious in
high winds. Search the archives for that thread. Search for alcohol stove
and fire ;)

For me, they can't be beat in weight and reliability. No moving parts means
nothing will break. There are no valves or seals that can leak except maybe
your fuel bottle. I'm also NOT a fan of the canisters. As always though,
HYOH. :)