[pct-l] New to the pct-l

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 21:48:46 CST 2010

Dear Joshua,

How much hiking experience do you have?  I would start out first with just a
100 mile, 4-5 day hike to test equipment, food choices etc.  Also, you tend
to pack heavy and then you realize that you only used half the stuff you
brought so the next time around you can make do with less etc.  Then do the
223 mile JMT.  That takes you into the climbing portions of the PCT.  You
don't want to be behind the eight ball when you do the PCT.

John gave good advice and the only thing I can add is that you really have
to be physically fit.  You can't just get off your couch and do 20 miles a
day for an extended period of time.  Muscles condition quite rapidly but
conditioning connective tissue (ligaments, tendons, bursa sacs facilitating
joint movement) is a much longer process.

Melanie