[pct-l] Frito Freak (Was Ray Jardine.. a Frito?)

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 21:36:21 CST 2010

Dear Dan,

I just take the Quaker Quick Oats (or generic) from the carton.  I prefer
Edamame Soybeans but any will do.  First I take 1 cup Soy nuts, 1.5 cups
oatmeal and blend in a food processor to a powder.  Then I add .5 (as in
half) cup Splenda as I don't eat sugar but you may be okay with sugar.  Then
I add 1 cup of raisins, dates, apricots or whatever dried fruit combination
you want until it is chopped into bits.  If I am preparing this for my long
distance bike rides I will add 1/2 cup of apple sauce to stick everything
together.  For added nutrition you could probably add some milk powder.  I
worry about spoilage so I've never tried this, but I should.  I get my daily
milk servings from adding milk powder to my "blender" powdered cereal in the
morning and with my pudding for dessert in the evening.  I insist on
COMPLETE NUTRITION or minimum adult requirements of protein, calcium,
vitamins etc. for my hike.  Anyway, for backpacking I just place the chopped
up bar bits into a ziploc and moisten on the trail into a bar so it
preserves better.

If you divide this into 4 bars it will give you about 14gm of protein and
about 375 calories.  Just about everyone in my family is obese and diabetic
by age 50 so I only eat whole grain complex carbohydrates.  Some of you
young men do not have weight issues so you could add nuts, sugar, breakfast
cereals in place of oatmeal.

Melanie