[pct-l] Water Treatment

albert at survivalcrafters.com albert at survivalcrafters.com
Fri Dec 24 15:46:09 CST 2010

That's why I elected not to use bleach to start with (I'm kind of a novice
distance hiker). All the sites I looked at except one that show how to use
bleach (which is fine) said the same thing about needing to be able to smell
the bleach in the water for it to be effective. My concern is that just like
sight and hearing we're all diffenent to some degree. You may be able to
easily smell 3 drops in a liter where I might need 14 drops in a liter
before I smell it because of my age and previous profession. The packaged
products tell you to put x number of drops or tablets in a specific amount
of water, I need that.

There was only one site I found that said specifically to put 7-8 drops of
bleach in a gallon of water to purify it and didn't mention anything about
the smell. This made me wonder if bleach can come in different
concentrations which would make this 7-8 drop method not very accurate also.

Albert