[pct-l] After Action Report - Glen Dawson Visit

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 10:31:13 CST 2010

Yes, once again your PCT hero, Switchback,  has cheated death.  This time
on a visit/lunch with Sierra pioneer, Glen  Dawson, at his Pasadena
retirement home.  Meadow Ed and I braved the  traffic and rain soaked SoCal to have
lunch with this historic mountaineer and  contemporary of John Muir.  Glen
was born in 1912 and John Muir died in  1914.  His deceased younger brother
was named Muir Dawson.   Glen was given an honorary Life Membership in the
Sierra Club in  1921.  The certificate was signed by Sierra Club president
William Colby.  Mr. Colby was secretary to John Muir when he was the  first
president of the Sierra Club.  Glen was on the Norman Clyde  expedition for
the first accent of Mt. Whitney's east face in the early  1930's.  Norman
Clyde made more first accents in the Sierras than any other  person.  Several
year's ago Glen was given an honorary  doctorate.

His retirement home is a place Ed and I  want to live at if I have to move
into a something like that.  What a nice  place.  There are 23 different ice
cream flavors you can have at lunch and  supper for dessert, plus lots of
other things.  All the food was first  rate.  Just the way Ed and I like it,
plus we were the kids there.   The trouble was that a lot of the folks there
seem to be doing better than  us.  Glen is very alert and likes to recall
the post pioneer days in the  Sierras.  This was his generation.  He made an
accent with others of  the last unclimbed 14,000 foot mountain in CA, plus
other first  accents.

For Meadow Ed, I had Glen sign a large two  picture sheet of Mt. Whitney's
east face and the historic black/white  picture of the first accent group at
the top after their historic climb.   Mine from last year's visit is framed
and hanging in my den at home.   What a neat thing to have.  After  lunch I
took Ed down to the Long Beach dock for the trip over to Santa  Catalina
Island.  He was going there for Christmas.  A very  enjoyable holiday visit
with Glen and Ed.

Faithfully recorded and accurately  reported, your obedient servant --

Switchback the Trail Pirate