[pct-l] Trail Names

Gary Swing homelessontherange at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 19:01:01 CST 2010

Diane's comment below is my favorite.

Yeah, maybe I over-reacted to Paul's remarks. You can just use my birth name for now.

"Always remember that you are unique... just like everyone else in the world." (I forget who said that.)

"Verbose"... probably not. Maybe "Writer"... I'm more a writer than a speaker. "Quiet" might be a better name when you actually meet me....

So, is the famous 'Packrat" the one from the AT in 2004? Trailjournals has the only searchable list I've seen.

"Pack Rat" is the only trail name suggested by someone else that I haven't turned down. Except... there was a female border patrol officer in New Mexico who called me "Tough Cookie." I thought that was too pretentious for a trail name, but it also uses the initials "TC."

I know it's more traditional to wait until the actual hike for a trail name. In 2008, I set out with an existing nickname, but I definitely want to ditch "Thought Criminal." Personally, I prefer "Alien," but my girlfriend vetoed it. She really wants to be "Spill."

BTW, there is no company called "Duermo Baggie." It was a running joke in '08 and we didn't think anybody would take the "ads" seriously. ;-)  However, if you would like to buy an Agua Purenicator filter to remove 67% of the "icky stuff" from your water, let us know. "Enjoy the rythmic pumping action." As always, Duermo Baggie aspires to achieve adequacy, proudly using only certified child labor in our Ciudad Juarez sweatshop factory, with product testing on fluffy white bunny rabbits for your personal reassurance. Duermo Baggie Transnational Corporation... now the 72nd finest name in cheap Mexican-American outdoor adventure gear.

Cheers,

Gary