[pct-l] Rain Jacket

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Dec 21 22:30:28 CST 2010

Things I've noticed about rain gear:
- Nothing keeps me dry.
- Probably the most effective thing I've ever used is an umbrella.
Unfortunately, it's almost worthless when the trail is overgrown and
you push your way through wet plants (basically most of Washington is
like this). Umbrellas expect the rain to come from above, not from
all around you, so if the rain is a mist, the umbrella isn't much help.
- Wet silnylon rain pants feel the same as wet legs. Silnylon pants
get hot so if you keep your hiking pants on, they get wet from sweat.
Wear shorts instead and it's like having wet legs anyway.
- Rain chaps don't let you sit down when it's raining. Rain pants
that aren't seam sealed are worthless when riding a motorcycle, but
might work to let you sit briefly on the trail.
- Anything that is actually waterproof gets so wet on the inside you
can't stay dry. The only thing truly waterproof clothing is good for
is riding my motorcycle.
- People from the PNW seemed more comfortable letting themselves get
wet.
- Seemed it was more important to make sure I kept warm than dry, and
that I had something dry to sleep in. Maybe this is the secret the
PNW natives understood.
- Some people just put up their tents and waited it out when it
rained. This works in So Cal but you'll never make it through
Washington.

If I had it to do all over again, I think I would bring the same
crappy rain gear: a cheap plastic poncho, an umbrella and rain chaps.