[pct-l] Frito Freak (Was Ray Jardine.. a Frito?)

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 09:46:06 CST 2010

Dear PCT, Iceaxe,

I WILL have to remember that one:  Smashing Frito's to show off, I love it!
When I retire in the Spring, just before I turn 55 yrs. I plan to do the
entire PCT.  That's about 4 years from now.  I will remember the sunglasses!

Anyway, I smash everything down to fit 5-6 days of food into a bear box
anyway.  I put Cheerios and even oatmeal into a blender to turn into
powder.  Then I add milk powder (raisins or whatever) and place into
individual servings in a ziplock bag for the trail.  I make my own trail mix
with roasted soybeans, oatmeal (complete protein combination) instead of
nuts but I even blend that and place in a ziplock.  The dried raisins,
apricots, etc. aren't quite sticky enough to hold it together, but on the
trail add a little bit of water and form a trail bar.  I also take this
compact food source on my long distance bike rides (80-100 miles) to keep me
going, only I add the water or applesauce to stick it together right away
and form it into a bar.  I think it would spoil on the trail so keep the
water out to mail ahead in food drops etc.

You end up having Ziploc bags of powder and bits which mold easily to the
dimensions of the bear box and you hold quite a bit of nourishment.

Melanie