[pct-l] DC Area Hikers/Parental Concerns

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 16:44:45 CST 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Paul Robison <paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com>
To: ned at mountaineducation.org
Sent: Mon, December 20, 2010 5:44:00 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] DC Area Hikers/Parental Concerns

Ned got me thinking about this and i thought i'd amend what i said before:

it's hard for me to quantify what 'city folk' do and don't know about camping.
there is a definaely a need to learn basic bushcrafting; fire skills  (not just
setting one, maintaining one);  route finding, etc.  These are things we take
for granted in rural British Columbia...someone from New York City might not
understand why their fire keeps going out,  and it could lead to a dangerous
situation.  just the same as my wife; when we went to Baltimore had no idea how
to pay for her stuff at the gas station; and tried to find her way into those
little bullet proof rooms that the cashier is in.

if you did not grow up with boyscouts, or a dad who liked camping, etc. etc.
then  your first few trips will be quite miserable (mine were anyway,  slept in
my bag with no mat in a lean-to in constant rain)... no fun.  Having a mentor
can mean a lot.  And while fellow hikers are friendly and eager to share; it is
irresponsible to expect people on the trail to teach you how to be safe... you
need to show up prepared...  preparedness means sometimes carrying more weight
until you know what you can and can't get away with.  that's why normal folk
like me carry a lot more weight than elites like Billygoat.

long story short,  you can learn a lot of skills in your backyard...but you
can't teach yourself how to self arrest by watching a youtube video.  i do not
know Ned,  but i understand he is passionate about our cause and is eager to be
that mentor that you might actually really need.  he doesn't teach you skills
because they're cool to know,  he teaches you them because it might  save your
life.

Chris,
 a mountain safety course might be a very wise thing to do if you've not done
anything like it before... and imagine how seriously your family will take you
then;  when you've been professional trained for all but the worst of
situations.  as for the other stuff,  take interest, do research, and be vocal
to your family about what you've learned...  make them aware of how much you've
learned, and how prepared you are.  this should do a lot to dispell their fears.
... additionally, be real with them (and to yourself) about the dangers,
explain to them that rattlesnake bites are extremely rare, but sprained ankles
are not.  That bears are not mad killing machines etc.  things they likely
already know, but i don't know their background so i am unsure.  listen to their
concerns and fears and address them directly.  are they afraid you will fall to
your  death?  are they afraid you'll die of a coral rattlesnake bite?  whatever
their major fear is; study it specifically and come back to them with what
you've learned.  listen to their concerns and don't shrug them off... it'll
build a stronger relationship at the same time.

my humble opine,
~Paul