[pct-l] Ice Axe as Potti Trowel

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Dec 20 13:50:34 CST 2010

Hey, Ed!

Yes, ice axes were also used as walking sticks, if they were long enough
(see Colin Fletcher), pack props, and, probably many other uses even before
the user reached the snow.

As far as the first time I experienced someone using ski poles or hiking
poles as walking sticks, I didn't see them coming, I Heard them coming! The
rhythmic "click, click, click" of pole placement against rocks and such gave
their approach away far earlier than seeing them!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd