[pct-l] (no subject)

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Dec 20 10:16:30 CST 2010

Good morning, Bryan,

It’s still early to see general snowpack accumulation in the Oregon Cascades
except for at the ski area elevations.  Near the I-5 Siskiyou Summit and
just slightly higher than the PCT is the Mt. Ashland Ski Area
http://www.mtashland.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=14  which is reporting a
good start to the season.

Further north, Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood
http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/ is also reporting a good
start.  Timberline’s
total snowfall this season is 251 inches, but note that the “base”, i.e. the
residual on the ground, is currently only 78 inches.  All that snow didn’t
melt; we have been experiencing the rainy “pineapple express” where most of
the water soaks into the snow increasing its snowpack density while
decreasing its depth.  A typical total snowfall on Mt. Hood is around 400
inches per season, but some years can have 800 inches and others much less.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09