[pct-l] Fitness

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Fri Dec 17 16:12:20 CST 2010

Learn to stretch; especially ones for your plantar fascia .  When I started in 2009, I didn't do much stretching of any kind and injured myself during the 2nd week.  Doing regular stretching helped me to heal and get back on the trail.  For the rest of the trail, I stretched every hour or two for a couple of minutes and that really helped me for the rest of the trip.

As for physical training, do alot of walking, perferably on trails with alot of climbing while wearing your pack.  The uneven trail surface helps strengthen your tendons and ligaments and reduce injury latter.  Slowly add weight to your pack until you are above the max weight you think you will carry on the PCT.  You can use water bottles for this since you can empty them if you get too tired on your training hikes.

-Miner