[pct-l] PCT in Open Street Map

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Wed Dec 15 19:56:15 CST 2010

Good afternoon all,
	Today I have put the finishing touches to a major project that I've going hard-out on since I heard about Open Street Map*. After removing all erroneous gps data (like where I wandered off trail, or sat down for a while) from my '07 hike I have converted it all to GPX files and uploaded them to OpenStreetMap.org. I then joined it up to intersecting trails, rivers, roads and whatever else was in the area and tagged (like marking the section names and which parts are bridges) the trail as best I could. Sometimes there was already a trail there, but mostly those were from the NFS maps and marked where the trail was planned for, but not where it ended up.

You can see the summary page here (there would be a map in the top right but the PCT is so long it messes the server up)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1225378/

Southern Terminus
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.58987&lon=-116.46612&zoom=17

Northern Terminus
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.000059&lon=-120.801075&zoom=18&layers=M

Here's an over all view of all correctly tagged trails in the US. It's currently missing the Washington Section L because I only just finished it. I expect it will have been included by the morning.
http://osm.lonvia.de/world_hiking.html?zoom=5&lat=40.70331&lon=-98.88906&layers=FFBT

I hope someone finds this useful, and that maybe you'll consider checking the maps around your area and making sure they are complete and accurate.

Craig/SunWalker/Heaps

*Open Street Map is a repository for geo-data, mostly supplied by the general public. The data is free to use and edit. It's like Google Maps but more open.