[pct-l] hitch-hiking

Bigfoot CDA bigfootcda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:54:55 CST 2010

The first time I had to hitch (it had been 35 years)  when I first started
section hiking the PCT was in central Oregon. I had read in one journal that
half the time that this hiker was picked up, the driver had a beer between
their legs. Well sure enough at 8:30 am, the guy who picked me up was
drinking a Corona. He took me to Lapine and drove me around until we found
the gas station where the bus stopped. I was sitting at an outside table
journaling  trying to decide if I wanted to wait 12 hours for the bus to
Dunsmuir, when a guy started asking me about my hike. I told him about the
12 hour wait and he asked how much the ticket cost ($33). He came back a
couple of minutes later and offered to take me to Dunsmuir for the $33. Him
and his wife took me right to my door step.   Bigfoot