[pct-l] Hitch-hiking

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 11:30:19 CST 2010

I totally have to tell Y'all this story!
So it's summer of 2009.
I arrive at Etna summit and there are already hikers waiting for a hitch there.
Like one car goes by... An hour passes in the hot sun.. another car goes by.. and so on.
Well "Hiker Joe" was the first one there so we all agree he should get the first hitch and'
we will probably get a ride with him anyways.
It seems obvious now, but at the time not so much..
Why wont anyone stop for us?!
Well it could be that "Hiker Joe", without his shirt on, bandana tied low over his shades is
standing on the side of the road twirling the two pieces of steel reinforcement bar taped together
that he uses for a hiking staff. (Gymnast.. didn't want to lose upper body strength.)
Everytime a car did come by he would sorta turn around real slow and manage to stick his thumb
out just as they were passing.
Finally a dude from England in a suburban picked all of us up. He piled all our packs on top of his dog
and we crammed in... within 50 feet the electric windows began to roll down as if automatically! LOL!
As if 5 thru-hikers actually stink! I think we smell like roses.

Anyways, straightening up your collar and a big smile go a long ways towards hitching success.
I also found out your exposed leg muscles, thick from many miles, also set you apart from the
average non-trail hitchhiker.
My other secret weapon that worked so well on the CDT was my ground sheet.
I drew a large "Hiker to Trail" and "Hiker to Town" on my tyvek groundsheet.
More than one person said the reason they stopped was my sign and they figured I must
be a serious hiker since I had bothered to make the sign. I think it also says "I ain't gonna stink up
your car too long.. I just need a ride to town!".
Etna summit was by far the hardest hitch on the PCT cause of so little traffic. I think we waited 3 hours.
I don't remember any of the other hitches on the PCT to be bad at all.
Going back to the trail it really helps to try and Yogi a ride from where ever people are stopped in their
cars(gas stations etc) or have to slow down(stop signs, traffic lights).
By the way... Robert.. I resemble that remark!
I am a West Coast loser but i ain't at all dangerous! ;)
-Iceaxe