[pct-l] My Gear List - Need Some Experienced Thoughts

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 13 15:05:45 CST 2010

John,

I have not looked at your total gear list spreadsheet, but I have read several responses.  Some people urged you to drop either the foam pad or the NeoAir.  Here's a counter-argument.

I carried both a NeoAir and a cheap closed cell foam pad on the PCT this year and would do the same again.

My "pros" were: better prot ection against punctures of the NeoAir; more insulation in the Sierra, esp. when campin g on snow; softer sleeping surface (I'm old and need more cushioning);  the foam pad was strapped on the outside of the pack and was readily available as a sitting or napping pad during the day; the foam pad also served well as a place to lay out gear while packing and unpacking, keeping it dri er and cleaner; it was cheap and readily replaceable at a K-Mart or equivalent.

Negatives were more weight, slightly more expense (less than $20); one more piece of gear to pack and unpack.

If you can find a very light weight, cheap pad, you might try carrying both it and the NeoAir.  I was MUCH more comfortable day and night with two pads.

Good luck,

Mango