[pct-l] Worrying about your gear and clothing

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Dec 13 08:56:11 CST 2010

To those worrying about what gear to get, what clothing to buy.

First of all, with the gear, just get something and then don't worry
too much about it. Pick the tent or whatever that does the most of
what you want. You'll be fine, you won't die, nobody will laugh at
your decision, and your decision isn't final anyway.

The "fashion show" kind of ends after Kennedy Meadows, which really
simplifies your life. After the Sierras nobody talks about gear
anymore. It's just a tool by then. There may be disappointments about
various things, but you really won't care about gear anymore. Honestly.

And as for choosing clothing for the temperature. The range really
isn't that great. The human body is really quite adaptable, too. I'm
a typical female who freezes in the office, wears a down jacket every
day, even in summer, while living in Santa Barbara. But out on the
trail, I was constantly moving. When I wasn't moving I was in my
sleeping bag. I didn't need that many layers. I hiked in spring and
summer so it never was all that terribly cold. Perhaps there were
some mornings in the 20s and some mid-days in the 40s at the coldest
and I think 103 was tops for the hottest. A small amount of clothing
was capable of taking me through that range comfortably.

When it was cold (and I did get cold a few times), I felt a little
cold but that's all. You can endure more than you think you can. I
wasn't dying, I was simply not perfectly comfortable. We really get
spoiled, soft and weak in our culture. Fortunately decades of
freezing in offices has taught me to endure being cold quite well.

To deal with being a little cold, I just kept moving and stayed warm.
When I stopped, I went to bed. I was never at risk.

At one point I did get tired of being too cold and managed to solve
the problem by purchasing a $3 crappy old shirt at a thrift store in
Mammoth (in 2009 it was snowing or hailing every day brrr). The thing
had runs in it, no brand name, the collar didn't work right, and it
was an ugly shade of blue, but it felt warm and I moved on up the
trail feeling like luxury. I crossed the Canadian border wearing that
shirt.

My point is, do the best you can with your gear but after that,
remember it is only a tool. Tools are available in most towns. You
can always get more tools, swap your tools for different ones. They
don't have to have fancy brand names or even be all that high
quality. Sometimes cheap stuff works as well or better.

Diane