[pct-l] Fw: Alcohol vs Canister stoves.

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 21:35:30 CST 2010

For a very good reason open fires are prohibited by law in many parts of the
PCT. The flame of an alcohol stove is an open fire just as a wood fire is. Over
the years, many fires affecting the PCT have been started by those cooking on
wood campfires or alcohol stoves. There are several problems with alcohol
stoves. 1) Alcohol is a liquid that you must pour and it can spill and spread if
the burning stove is accidentally knocked over. 2) There is no shut-off valve -
you can't shut off or even adjust the flame - therefore you can't simmer either
- it's all or nothing. 3) The flame is invisible in daylight. I know, they are
lighter, and those who are very experienced can, and do, use them with
reasonable safety. What I am MORE concerned about is that people with little or
no experience, who are determined to go UL, will be influenced to use them and
might end up starting fires. Just one hiker-started fire can burn thousands of
acres and shut down the trail that we all love. This happened once during my
2008 ride.

As for canister stoves:  I used a Jetboil during both 2008 & 2009.  It was very
easy and convenient to use and turned out to be trouble-free for about five
months on the trail - and I lived on the trail - did not go into towns for "0"
days as most hikers do. So I cooked more often. I never had a flare-up. The
flame was fully adjustable allowing me to simmer when I wanted to. And I could
simply turn the valve to shut off the flame. It was very fuel-efficient; cooking
two meals a day, I could get six or even seven days on the 7 ounce canister. I
also carried a four ounce canister as a back-up, and rarely used it. By the time
I got to Washington in 2009 I had become so confident of safely using that stove
that I was able to cook inside the vestibule of my tent when it was raining
outside. I notice in the latest REI catalog that the Jetboil "Green Edition"
includes a "crunchit" tool allowing you to safely empty the canister and
puncture it for recycling. I'm going to get one of those small tools for my 2011
ride.

As for safety, it is best to not cook at all, as Steel-Eye suggests, especially
in some fire-hazard areas. And you save even more weight and eliminate a lot of
clean-up time. I have one friend, a Canadian, who did the entire PCT without
cooking. She simplified eating. No stove. No cooking utinsils to clean. She was
a slow, but steady, hiker. She said that she mostly ate while hiking.

MendoRider