[pct-l] Time for hunting/gathering?

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 15:18:55 CST 2010

Macadamia Nut Reinhold writes: Yes, Peanut butter crackers are great energy trail snacks. But, at 136 calories per oz., they don't come even close to the energy you get from macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts deliver 200 calories per oz......you have to drink straight oil to beat that.  I don't know any other trail food that will deliver that kind of energy.  Not only that, but macadamia nuts are high in "monounsaturated'' fat (the most benign fat) which does not affect your cholesterol.  I rely heavily on macadamia nuts on my JMT speed hikes to lighten my pack and deliver the energy requirements on those speed hikes. Some folks say that is my problem....it explains everything....I eat to many nuts.  If you guys are really serious about reducing pack weight, incorporate macadamia nuts in your menu....the more the better.
Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: This reminds me of hikers, who you hear about periodically.  It is like the corn spaghetti hiker.  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.  Everyone should take lots of Macadamia nuts for the 2011 campaign.  Then I will come along and have free Macadamia nuts from the hiker boxes.  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. This is too rich (pun intended).

I use to come back from the Pacific grand tour once a month.  I would pick up a box Macadamia chocolate covered nuts in Hawaii for the wife back in the states.  Say, there are other nut butters you could take on the trail.  I wonder if there is Macadamia nut butter for your crackers?  That is the obvious answer to the variety issue with nut butters.  I like to take 7-grain bread for the trail too.  A nice peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch is outstanding.  You have to use your breads early in your hike, since they tend to spoil.  No problem.  Many times I make a triple layer bread sandwich.  There is no trail that cannot be conquered with a triple.