[pct-l] Time for hunting/gathering?

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 08:06:53 CST 2010

Shroomer writes: Grazing is all great, and I love wild things for lunch and dinner, and did find time to pick on trail, but my power trail breakfast almost always included little packets of peanut butter crackers.  I love the little devils.  They were the mac and cheese of the morning for me.

Switchback replies: Well said.  I figure that peanut butter crackers would be good in the Arctic, desert, and a Yo-Yo of the Triple Crown.  I also like to carry Pro Bars and Lara Bars.  A simple pouch dinner with hot water is great too.  For my MaryJane Farms mac/cheese I add rice noodles and bacon bits.  Life does not get any better than this on the trail.  For lunches I like the tuna salad prepackage lunches.  Outstanding.

There are three things I consider for food on the trail; simplicity, nutrition, and variety.  If you have these three covered, you are way ahead of the game.  Variety becomes extremely important on longer trips.  If you don't eat it, why carry it?  Look at how much food hikers carry off the trail or leave in Hiker Boxes along the way.  Amazing.  You should come off the trail or end a section with just one day's emergency weather food in your kit.  That is good planning and a job well done.  Very few hikers are at this pro level.