[pct-l] Ice axe

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:28:54 CST 2010

A side trip to Mt. Shasta, which is a short hitch hike from Castle Crags, is highly recommended.
In 1980, I met somebody in the campground who had a car and was enthralled by the PCT stories told around a fire ring since there were lots of thru-hikers there at the time, including John Merill. This fellow wanted to hike to the summit of Mt. Shasta so he offered me a ride in exchange for my tour guide duties. I really wanted to try to walk with John Merrill the next morning but I found out he prefers to hike alone. So I took up the offer. After renting cramp-ons at an outdoor mountaineering store in the city of Shasta, we hiked in a few miles and set up a base camp to give us a head start on the climb.

By the way: my ice axe served as a great "oar" when I "glassaded" (? spelling) down sitting on nothing more than my REI Gore-Tex rain pants.

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980