[pct-l] Ice Axe

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 17:38:09 CST 2010

I used a Camp Corsa Ice axe for the crossing of the Sierra on the PCT
as well as the San Juan Mountains of Colorado on the CDT.
While it was adequate for self arrest and self belay there were some other considerations.
For one thing the axe is extremely light weight. The combination of the short handle
and light weight meant that the adze would skip off of heavily ice crusted snow.
This meant I would have to lean over and spend a lot of time swinging to chop steps.
Like Ned said the length of the handle becomes important for proper self arrest but also for chopping steps.
The other thing about the all aluminum Camp Corsa was that it would conduct a lot of heat away from my hands.
I used heavy weight Neoprene "Glacier Gloves" to insulate my hands and this worked except that I am alergic to rubber and my hands dried and cracked after a few days.
The third consideration regarding this super light axe was that it was real easy to fling at high speed. ..and lose control of.
A good lanyard is a must with this axe. (iI is with any axe)
I would use my Camp Corsa on a thru hike again. It is hard to beat 7 ounces.
However, if I knew I was going to be chopping a lot of steps in ice,
the extra momentum/inertia of a heavier axe combined with a longer handle would make things safer and easier.
I think if i had to buy another axe I would pay more attention to the proper length rather than go for the smallest lightest axe I could find.
-Iceaxe