[pct-l] Ride to L.P.from H.Mdw.

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 20:48:15 CST 2010

I arrived at Horseshoe Meadow during the last week
of June 2008. Was offered a ride down to Lone Pine by the first person I asked.
I was still mounted on Primo. The man said that he would be going down in about
an hour. That gave me time to put Primo in a corral. I had parked my rig at a
ranch in Lone Pine, having driven it north from Walker Pass. After picking up
the rig at the Lone Pine ranch I drove back up to H. Mdw. to pick up my horse.
There was too much snow in the Sierra to ride north over Forrester Pass and
other passes, so I trailered north to Sierra City.
      In 2011 my plan is to ride SOBO from Sierra City to Horseshoe Meadows. I
will wait until most of the snow has melted. I will take my time and fish to
supplement my food.

MendoRider

Last year I found rides from Horseshoe Meadow for myself and 3 others.  It
took about an hour, during which we relaxed on benches and read interpretive
signs.  Everyone we approached was willing to help, but some had no room in
their vehicles for us and our packs.
Last year there were some very helpful angels at both locales.  The Lone
Pine person ferried a lot of folks around.  The other was based at the
campground at Onion Valley (the exit point for Kearsarge).  The tough part
about KP is its distance from Independence.  It's probably a toss-up which
place is easier to get out (and back) to.
Although KP is xtra miles, it's a nice pass and hike.  If you can arrange
it, you could avoid town from either locale by having someone stash your
supplies in the bear boxes at the trailheads.
Elderly Ellen
To unsubcribe, or change options visit: